Wednesday, November 17, 2010

fall fun to share

So when I think of fall I think of a few things since I grew up in Washington state one of them is definitely apples. I am a apple snob. I won't eat red Delicious and I only like them super crunchy and just so. When my favorite brilliant zumba teacher Autumn surprised me and Missy with some apple bars at class we were hooked right away. Missy took a bite of one on the way home almost missed out turn and crashed us it was soo good lol. They are amazing.
Me and Missy have been begging relentlessly ever since for the recipe and we whipped up a batch today. :) I got the ever brilliant Autumns permission to share this yummy fall treat with you lucky people
Autums apple bars
filling:
6 large granny smith apples (or 12 small)
1/3 c packed light brown sugar
2T lemon juice
1T honey
1/2 t cinnamon
Crust:
2 1/4 c flour
1/2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1c or 2 sticks butter
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
Streusel topping:
1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1/4 light brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/2 or 1 stick butter cold
1c chopped pecans
the filling:
in a large skillet on medium heat place all of the filling ingredients except cinnamon. Stir them and cover for 3 minutes. add cinnamon let apples bubble away stirring occasionally after 15-20 minutes when liquid has evaporated set skillet aside to cool
Crust:
preheat oven to 375f. Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment. sift together flout baking powder and salt
In a large bowl cream together butter and brown sugar when creamy add eggs and then mix in the rest of ingredients. Press into pan bake 15-20 minutes (til golden)
Struesel:
place flour cinnamon sugar and salt in bowl add in butter mixing as much as can with mixer but I had to go in with my hands to really get it to crumble up in the end :)
spread the filling on crust cover with struesel and bake at 350 f for 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely will slice better if chilled :)

yum yum yum
another thing that makes me love fall and winter is hats. I just finished a new one that will maybe grace the pages of my etsy. It is a slouchy hat.

The yarn is bamboo ewe


and this is a rare picture that shows you my large nose profile from my dearly departed daddy lol. I never take profile but I really wanted to show the hat. :)



Well people there you have it lol. I am off to fit in one more episode of Dog The Bounty Hunter before my hubby gets home from work. Enjoy the new yummys I know I am going to right now ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment