Thursday, January 26, 2012

how to take care of your drier.

Okay so I think I am a pretty savvy mama who knows how to care for her appliances and I keep them clean and take some pride in the things I own but I found something out I didn't know this week that shocked me!! I have two girls (who change clothes at the drop of a dime) and plus a hubby who has work/home/pjs everyday! So laundry adds up fast at my house. When we moved last year we bought our own washer and drier. They were used ones from craigs list in great condition. Our drier has been taking more then one cycle to get a load dry I figured it was probably just because it was a older machine. Well I will teach you a few tricks to cut your drying time by allot!! It was also save you money on your energy bill and make your machine last longer because the heating element won't burn out at fast.

Now everyone should be cleaning the lint out every time they change loads plus cleaning the actual drier hose area out to prevent fires (just saw a cool new contraption to help make that a easier process that attaches to your vacuum!!) but I didn't realize that drier sheets build a film up on your lint trap!!! Test yours take it out run it under water if it stays on top it is clogged!! I just sprinkled a bit of baking soda (since it was right there next to the sink for my "no poo" which is getting better all the time btw) on mine and scrubbed it with some water quick. I am going to start testing mine and cleaning it at least once a month (more if it needs it!)

Another thing to help is make a few wool drier balls. There is a great tutorial here. They are easy and kids can even help whip them up. Make sure you grab wool not acrylic. Not a problem at my house and is a great use for some left overs in your stash. It will help keep things separate in the drier, absorb moisture, and static.




I have 3 (one must be in a laundry basket) but I noticed a dramatic difference when I started using these! It was crazy. Please let me know if you try this and what you think. I am off to care for a sick fire monster. She has been sick for a few days now and when she isn't napping on my lap she is keeping me on my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment